Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Deciding to build a Pacific City Dory

I am not sure why, but for some reason I decided I would try building a wooden boat in my garage. It might just be my need to always have a project going? Maybe it is an excuse to have to purchase new power tools? Probably doesn't matter, it just matters that I have decided to give it a try and that I have fun in the process.

Deciding to build a boat was the easy part, deciding what plans to use turned out to be a bit challenging. I spent countless hours reviewing study plans online and reading reviews, but kept finding myself going back to one design. The design happened to be a pacific city dory, only problem was I new I could not build something that large in my garage! So I settled on its little brother a Pacific City Power Dory disigned by Jeff Spira called the 17' Tillamook Dory. You can find the plans on his website at http://www.spirainternational.com/.

A few of the selling points on this was particular model was the ease of construction, the simple lines/angles of the build, and the ability to use standard construction grade lumber.

Here is a drawing from Jeff's website of the Tillamook Dory.


1 comment:

Eric D said...

How's you boat progressing? Got new pics? I'm talking to Jeff now about building a Tillamook with a cabin. Should work nicely.